Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Year Round School

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Year Round School

    Delegate Kilgore is on Channel 10 and is talking about how year long school is being considered by the General Assembly......he says 8 weeks on and two weeks off.

    What are peoples thoughts on this?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    I'm a teacher and I think I would like it. Six to eight weeks off is too much. Plus, the kids should have an easier time retaining information. I also believe that teacher and student burnout would decrease. I think this will happen somewhere down the line.

  3. #3
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Year Round School

    lol, July in our schools, lol.... wait, lol.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    i too teach and would absolutely love it. the main reason this would be good in my opinion would be the decrease in burnout. both teachers and students.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gchsajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    Hey im a student, and i would love it. Definately would help, seems like it'd make high school go by faster.
    [url="http://avatars.jurko.net"][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_17434.gif[/img][/url]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    How many other states use the "Year Round" school policy?

    Or what is a round about % of schools that implement this type of schooling?

    It would not suprise me for the State of Virginia to do something like this. They have a habit of making things harder on everyone, at least more than most states.

    If I were a student I would not like this or if I were a teacher I would not agree with this. I have about 5 other family members who are teachers and we have talked about this before and they think it is a bad idea as well. They feel that for them once you get into a rythym and finally get the students back into rythym you go on another 2 week break and the students have forgotten everything up to that point and you have to start again every eight weeks and I just feel it would be at a disadvantage to the students and teachers.

    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    Year-round school?

    As a future band director, I would probably like it. Especially in the summer months because I would not have to chase my students down so much. And we could get a lot more done to prepare for marching band than just band camp.

    As section-leader at PV, it could be kinda difficult-by no fault of the younger marchers-to really help the section out during summer.

    I'd like it. I think it might work.

    So as a future band director, yes, I like the idea.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    Im not really sure how I would feel about year round school. Every kid likes to have summer off, and I know a couple of teacher that teach just so they can have the summers off like that. I can see some advantages to it though. it would really make a lot of sense, you would have enough time at school to get through a grading period and then have a break before the next one begins, not just the half day for teacher work day. That way you dont get burnt out on it. But then you would have some students forget a lot while on break. So im not really sure.
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    For my field, there really wouldn't be too much summer vacation. I mean I would have to schedule many practices in order for my band to be prepared for marching season.

    But really. I think they should try it for a year. If they like it, they can k,eep it, if not, then go back to what we usually do. But I think it would work a bit more than people think.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Year Round School

    I know band people dont get much of a break during summer. I had a friend who was in the band at norton and durning the summer it was hard to plan something to do together because she had a lot of band practice and things of that nature.
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •